- Hating your new co-workers a little less.
- Coming home to find your daughter still awake, even though it’s an hour past her bedtime.
- Being so excited to see her that you almost break your nose on her head as you embrace her.
- Her being so happy to see you that she doesn’t even notice the collision.
- Lying next to her in her wee bed, your feet hanging over the endboard, talking about her day.
- The way she says, over and over again, “Mama. You came home.”
- Her new painting–almost miraculously beautiful–of Mina and an octopus.
- Finding that not only has your husband prepared dinner, but the plate waiting for you is covered with paper towel then plastic, so you will not ingest hormone-disrupting chemicals after microwaving.
- Knowing that, since said husband is going out, you can eat the aforementioned plate at the table like a zombie while binge-watching “Orange Is the New Black” on your laptop.
It is incremental improvement, even when this seems impossible.
It is knowing that you don’t have to work tomorrow. Or you do, but at home. Your favorite place of employment.
Thanks. It’s good to have something positive to report.
Pingback: Just Desserts | thumbstumbler