- Slept ’til 8:15. Experienced usual “late shift” guilt.
- Attempted to meditate. Made it two and a half minutes while simultaneously listening to MJ play her new “guitar” (ukelele) in the next room. She has written her first song. It is called “Puzzle Puzzle.”
- Got up. Slipped and nearly died on tiny piece of tin tea set. Did not pick it up. It will only end up there again. Swore to look where I was going more.
- Ran dishwasher.
- Walked dog and daughter to field, where we read the ladybug book. Argued about whether or not there was time to read second book. There wasn’t. Thanked God.
- Took MJ to gym class, where she refused to do anything the other kids were doing. Considered that my child is maladjusted.
- Drove home. Felt exhausted. Considered that I may be coming down with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Ate leftover stir-fry for lunch. Worried about arsenic in brown rice. Considered switching to quinoa. Hate quinoa.
- Felt less tired. Realized I had forgotten to eat breakfast.
- Folded one load of laundry. Wondered why my just-out-of-the-dryer “Tired” tee shirt is covered with lint. Realized I had washed it with whites. Resolved to re-wash it.
- Did breakfast dishes by hand.
- Emptied dishwasher.
- Re-washed dishes that came out of it still dirty. Muttered imprecations.
- Did “Pets” puzzle with MJ.
- Put her down for nap. No bug books. Yes!
- Swept living room floor where we tracked mud from field.
- Swept kitchen floor where MJ dribbled brown rice. Arsenic in rice, meet toxic Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on floor. You two should have lots to talk about.
- Made three phone calls.
- Swept in front of house. Used mostly MJ’s toy broom. (It is better on steps.)
- Attempted to weed sidewalk and driveway. Failed. Considered unleashing Mr. Clean on dandelions.
- Took out the garbage.
- Realized I was filthy. Changed into “Tired” tee shirt.
- Auntie Pam came to visit MJ. Hosted.
- Ran to post office to mail box for Mike while Auntie Pam watched MJ (ie: read her the bug books).
- Said goodbye to Pam.
- Walked to field again. Read both bug books. Myra-Jean now knows the words “thorax,” “abdomen,” and “elytra.” Can also identify a Colorado Potato Beetle. It all makes me sick. I do not show this.
- Made dinner for MJ and two friends who stopped by.
- Put MJ to bed. No bug books.
- Ate all food and the last of the homemade cookies with friends.
- Said goodbye to them.
- Started episode of “Parenthood.”
- Mike came home. Realized there was no dinner for him. Fed him left-over, thrice-reheated, sole-of-shoe-tasting TJ’s ravioli for dinner. Burned myself on microwave steam. Apologized for hungry friends.
- Got aloe from “carcass pile” in back yard and applied to finger. Considered leaving a small amount of the plant alive for future incidents. Aloe didn’t work. Dismissed thought.
- Watched rest of “Parenthood.” Cried during baby birthing scene.
heroic tales of everyday toil. keep ’em up, if for only my reading pleasure.